Night & Day: States of Mind

I'm very pleased to have helped out with issue 3 of Night and Day, a long forgotten journal first created in 1937 and edited by none other than Graham Greene. Tom Avery and Parisa Ebrahimi have resurrected the magazine and created a new electronic format. My task was to create an illustration around the theme States of Mind.

I chose a phrenological map of the human brain. My mind island is divided into individual States which in turn act as feelings. What is your current state of mind? As for me, I've crash landed in one and perpetually exist in another, yet seek a path back to one I visited before.

Well done to Tom and Parisa- you can download the issue free HERE



10 comments:

BETOWERS said...

I love that map! always crush me your cool style! :)

Oscar Grillo said...

like the beat, beat, beat of the tom tom
when the jungle shadows fall
like the tick,tick, tock of the stately clock
as it stands against the wall
like the drip, drip drip of the rain drops
when the summer showers through
a voice within me keeps repeating
you, you, you

Night and day you are the one
only you beneath the moon or under the sun
wheather near to me or far it's no matter darling
where you are
I think of you
day and night, night and day
why is it so that this longing for you
follows where ever I go
in the roaring traffics boom, in the silence of my lonely room
I think of you
night and day, day and night
under the hyde of me , theres an oh such a hungry yearning burning
inside of me
and this torment wont be through
till you let me spend my life making love to you
day and night, night and day

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Thanks Betowers.

Oscar- Cole Porter?

Oscar Grillo said...

Oh...I forgot!...I like the Limbolo part of the brain, the one with a man with a tree trunk.

Joel Cooper said...

fantastic map, really nice style.
love the clouds in the depression area, and the fisherman by the reflective pool.

Mike Shorten said...

That's just about the coolest thing I've seen in ages. Beautiful mind!

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Thanks guys.

Unknown said...

Really super mon Ami. I owe you $5.

Matt Jones said...

These images put me in a state of ECSTASY! Great to be part of that esteemed publication.

-WIthnail

Christophe"ZEBE" Lourdelet said...

I just discovered your work....and I can tell you: we can definitly be in several states of mind in the same time looking your amazing drawings....even depression

(aside:Hi Matt see you in ECSTASY)

ZB')